A Shadow Council tour de Force
The case for Rey Skywalker can be summed up in a few lines from TLJ:
Luke: You went straight to the dark. […] It offered something you needed. And you didn’t even try to stop yourself.
Luke: […] My nephew with that mighty Skywalker blood. And in my hubris, I thought I could train him, I could pass on my strengths. […]
Rey: […] Kylo failed you. I won’t.
Luke thinks Ben fell because of his heritage and Luke failed to help him overcome it as he did. Now Luke is terrified it will doom Rey as well (first quote). The fact Luke never actually trained Rey in The Last Jedi is a very important plot point. By attempting what Luke did for Vader and then refusing Kylo’s offer to join him, Rey showed Luke the Skywalker bloodline wasn’t predisposed to the dark, but the light. He didn’t need to pass on his strengths to her, she already had them.
Read the full case:
- Thematic Analysis
- Basis for the Interpretation
- Creative Commentary
- Movie Analysis Round Table
- Another Interpretation
- Narrative Analysis
- Symbolic Analysis
- Rian’s Approach to Movies
- In Defense of a Delayed Rey Skywalker Reveal
- A Few Thoughts on Caves, Obstacles, and Finding What You Came To See
- TLJ Novelization Dialog Hinting at the Backstory?
- The Third Lesson
- Background Screams in The Last Jedi
- Something Overlooked in the TFA Interrogation
- The Last Jedi Rewatch
- Legends of Luke Skywalker Review and Analysis
- A Comparison of the Novelization and Film Interrogation Scenes
- Something Overlooked in the TFA Junior Novelization
- What’s In A Name? Cases For And Against “Rey” Skywalker
- Character Archetypes of the Sequel Trilogy
- An Analogy for the Mystery of Rey
- Rey’s Origins: Themes and Effects
- Quotes from Daisy’s Facebook Interview
- TLJ Audio Commentary
How would you tell the difference?
Could a somebody sit in a cantina without being recognized? (Luke in LoLS #1)
How about searching for salvage on Jakku? (Luke in LoLS #2)
Or perhaps fly a junker A-Wing and not even have their name recognized? (LoLS #6)
Perhaps the real lesson is the distinction between nobody and somebody is meaningless and we’re all Luke Skywalker.
Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/HVKN3dT